So, you’ve taken the time and effort to get a chemical peel, microdermabrasion or micropeel? Good for you! Now, we want to help you protect that investment. Here are a few post-service do’s and don’ts for you to remember:
- Use a gentle cleanser 2 times a day – light and easy is the name of the game.
- Use a heavier moisturizer – to help prevent over-drying.
- Wear sunscreen – ALWAYS! But especially after an exfoliation service. Ultraviolet rays can cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots) and damage the new skin.
- Keep hands off! – We know your skin feels amazing right now, and you’re tempted to touch it to feel how silky smooth it is, but your skin is vulnerable. Touching (and picking) can introduce bacteria and cause break outs.
- Book your next appointment - a one-time service will never be enough to achieve your goals, no matter what that service is. To get the best results, we recommend a series of six professional exfoliations - either once a week for six weeks or once a month for six months.
- Tan or sit in direct sunlight for at least 48 hours - YOU WILL BURN!
- Work out for 1-2 days – Excessive sweat can cause clogged pores. You want to give your skin a chance to breathe.
- Use an at-home exfoliation product for 7-10 days – there is such a thing as over-exfoliation. You need to give your skin time to recover.
Let your skin do its thing and run its course. You may experience some light flaking, which is a normal part of the skin renewal process. Use a soft cloth to buff away flaking skin prior to cleansing. If you see a blemish or two, don't worry! Your skin may be getting rid of bacteria and dead skin cells - which is a good thing. Use a spot treatment, or make an appointment with your esthetician to have them extracted.
If you want to see long-term results, you’ve got to develop long-term habits. You and your skin are worth a little time and effort!
Next time we’ll talk about at-home exfoliation routines and products.